Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Fast Day 148 April 3 2010 {Waiting by the Road to Cross}



Easter Week 2: Waiting by the Road to Cross

The first time I crossed Jordan Street, I saw Slim Peter, shiney and a dime!
He threw me out of Beulah Land; he said it wasn't time.

Going down to Galilee, hop the Sunshine Special!
Going down to Galilee, hop the Sunshine Special!
they came this morning with the news,
banging window and sash:
the conductor knows i got no ticket
he knows i got no cash

The second time crossing Jordan, I was Red Paul, dressed in silver;
They bade me land not on the shore; I could not cross that river.

Going down to Galilee, take the Good News plane!
Going down to Galilee, take the Good News plane!
I called the limo pick me up
with the weary-hearted:
a taxi where we'll all be changed,
as soon as we have started!

The last time I crossed the Jordan, I went marching proud and bold!
 - a prodigal son to a welcome feast -
and my feet were shod in gold!

Going to Jerusalem, the devil drove his rig!
Going to Jerusalem, the devil drive his rig!
the chrome was shiney as his hate,
the radiator wide!
as he's about to run me down,
Slim Pete pulls me to his side!



--------------
notes

Slim Peter  :               St. Peter
shiney and a dime  :   shiney as a dime;   I don't know if this particular literary device has a name, but  instead of making a simile with "as" or "like", we just set forth the two objects and the reader is supposed to make the connection. I don't think I come across it very often.
Red Paul    :               St. Paul

No comments: