Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fast Day 167 August 12 2010 {What'll I Tell the Widow?}

Rain


What'll I Tell The Widow ?

The hay burned in the fields that year, beaten down
by the oven of the wind; I stood stock still
by the Rattle Run which was
hardly a trickle in August.
Danny looked at me like queer,
but I just throw my Johnny Deere cap down,
and said nothing until he drove over
left his motor runnin'
I could not hear him but I saw his lips
movin' , and I said "Enough".
He cup his hand to his head,
like he can't hear, so I make a universal
translate "turn the friggin' engine off" sign.
and when I could hear my heart beatin' in my ears
I said "Enough".
It took a century to walk out of that field,
leavin' Danny with the two tractors,
him gaping at me,
smoke and sun
But he took off at a trot
caught up with me in ten years
sayin' "You know, there's nothing out there.
The worlds end at Palms Road and Chick's Barbeque..."
where the yawning gap between our dreams
came to an end in aught-8, leaving me
a Mad Max with ethanol
a girl friend with 4 kids
widowed twice at 24
the Widow Greer she was
and her breath was hotter'n this wind.
Ah, what a future we had had !
We used to dream of crop circles
I went on walkin'
He yelled "Hey!... ... Hey!
What'll I tell the Widow?"
I ponder, "It's a hard rain falls..."


----
climate change poem

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Terrific title. I love this poem. You had me at oven of the wind. The riding mower is such a great locale for this dialog. My only quibble is that when "you" throw your Johnny Deere cap down, I pictured you on the mower. So a little confusion there.

Montag said...

Thanks.
Good point. I'll brood over it.
I thought that making the statement that he left his engine running, mine was already stopped. Obviously there is a gap in the narrative, and I'll work it out.