Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Aside: February 20 2011

My friend Ruth made a comment of the poem  http://peace-weaving.blogspot.com/2010/12/fast-day-185-december-18-2010.html

Wonderful!

Especially the final stanza, and that breathtaking line:
They have forgotten the wind-like face of earth!

I was going through some things this morning, and I happened across it and I read it and I said "Hmm. That is not a bad line. Wonder who wrote it?"
 
So I looked around in the comment, then in the poem for a hint or a reference. It sounded familiar but I just could not place it. It took about 5 minutes before I realized it was part of my poem! (I was reading it something like: ...especially the final stanza which brings to mind the line by so-and-so... that reminds me of this poem.)
 
She is awfully nice.

4 comments:

Professor 0110 said...

Montag, how long does it take you to write each one of these poems, each like a shining star in the vast field of the cosmos, each imbued with the wisdom of the ages?

And how do you get your ideas for each of the poems? Do they just appear, or do you brainstorm? Or is it something that is nudging you, and you just HAVE to write it?

From the way you write, it seems you've written poetry all your life.



Ben

Montag said...

Some are quite tedious, but some are amazingly fast. They pretty much appear as an idea or a couple lines, and I have to write it. If I did not, it would be murder.

I don't recall whether I've always written poetry - although I remember 40 years ago the computer in the film Alphaville asking what separates light from shadow? and the answer being La poesie, poetry.

I sort of think in poetry, meter and phrases and beat and tempo and quirky changes.
I talk just like some of my poems, too, but I learned a long time ago not to do that very often in public.
Ideas have a definite rhytm and flow - or "hustle and flow" - and it seems very natural to talk that way. Although I have no pure music ability, ideas and images seem to have a harmony that is strong enough to affect the rest of my body. Some of the poems have unrecorded music that ran through my head.

Ruth said...

Ha!

See? Brilliant.

But if you just speak this way, then they come, and they go, talking of Michelangelo ...

Montag said...

That's a good start.
I think there will soon be a poem based on "Brideshead Revisited". the part where Sebastian nad Charles visit Lord Marchmain in Venice.

First they come, then they go...
talking of Michelangelo,
trying to start my vaporetto,
in the water which Canaletto
painted from imprimatura
in discreet manner of Ventura...

Seriously. Hmmm, couplets like Alexander Pope I'm pretty sure and it should be sort of mock-serious.